History

The History of Brown County Library

1880-1920

1889

Green Bay Public Library founded.

1896

Green Bay Public Library renamed Rufus B. Kellogg Library.
De Pere Public Library established.

1903

Carnegie Building erected at 129 S. Jefferson St., Green Bay, to house Kellogg Public Library, the first Carnegie grant institution in Wisconsin. Building expanded in 1913, 1927 and 1939.

1921 - 1940

1923

Brown County Extension Service organized.

1926

Fort Howard Branch Library in Green Bay purchased (Joel S./Wilbur Fisk home). Closed in 1980.

1938

Denmark Library service initiated in local bank.

1939

De Pere Public Library building constructed at 380 Main St. Closed in 2003 when the Kress Family Branch was constructed.

1941 - 1960

1941

North Branch Library constructed at 617 N. Irwin Ave. in Green Bay.

1948

Bookmobile service initiated.

1958

Southwest Branch Library constructed at 974 Ninth St., Green Bay.

1961 - 1980

1964

Wrightstown Library collection initiated in high school. Brown County provided staffing in 1968. Moved to Village Hall in 1971.

1968

Pulaski Branch Library established in Pulaski High School.

Brown County Library System was consolidated by purchasing Kellogg Public Library and its three branches – Southwest, North and Fort Howard; and De Pere Public Library. This marked the first such integrated county-owned system in the state.

1970

Pulaski Branch moves to 223 S. St. Augustine St.

1973

Kellogg Public Library closed.

1974

Brown County Central Library opened to the public at 515 Pine St., downtown Green Bay.

1975

Howard Branch opened in Village Hall. Later moved to 2637 Tulip Lane. Closed in 2000 when the Weyers-Hilliard Branch was constructed.

1976

Brown County Central Library became headquarters and resource library for newly formed multi-county system: Nicolet Federated Library System.

1977

Ashwaubenon Branch Library constructed at 1060 Orlando Drive.

1978

Fort Howard Branch Library closed.

1980

Brown County Library named WISCONSIN LIBRARY OF THE YEAR.

1981 - 2000

1982

North Branch closed, relocated to 2255 Main St., Green Bay, and renamed East Branch Library.

1989

Pulaski Branch Library relocates to third site at 222 W. Pulaski St.

1993

Brown County Library named WISCONSIN LIBRARY OF THE YEAR.

1994

Brown County Library named NATIONAL LIBRARY OF THE YEAR.

1999

Denmark Branch Library relocates to third site inside new Denmark High School at 450 N. Wall St. as combined school/public library.

2000

Weyers-Hilliard Branch Library opens at 2680 Riverview Drive in Howard.

2001 - present

2003

Kress Family Branch Library opens at 333 N. Broadway in De Pere.

2004

Wrightstown Branch Library relocates to third site at 615 Main St.

2007

Wrightstown Branch Library expands to double in size.

2016

Southwest Branch Library expanded to include Technology Room, two study rooms, and a large meeting room.