Tax Forms and Tax Help

Take Steps Now for Tax Filing Season

Learn about steps you can take regarding changes that could affect your ability to timely file your tax return and get your refund as quickly as possible. See www.IRS.Gov/GetReady  for more details.

State and Federal Income Tax Forms

State and limited Federal tax forms are available at all Brown County Libraries during tax season.
The IRS has reduced the amount of tax information provided through the library.  The following publications are available in limited quantities:

Federal Instruction booklets: 1040
Federal Forms:

Other forms are available for photocopying from our reproducible tax forms binder.
Access and print state and federal tax forms from these websites:

You can request a paper copy of state forms and instructions by calling 1-608-266-1961.
You can request a paper copy of federal forms and instructions by calling 1-800-829-3676.

Tax Help

Federal Income Tax Help

IRS Office:  1901B East Capitol Drive, Appleton, WI 54911
(920) 996-4860
To make an appointment: 844-545-5640
M-F 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (Closed for lunch Noon – 1 pm)
Tax Help for Individuals:
M-F 7:00 am – 7:00 pm (Central time)
Tax Help for People with Hearing Impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD)
M-F 7:00 am – 7:00 pm (Central time)
Wisconsin State Tax Help

Local Office:  200 N. Jefferson St. Rm 140, Green Bay, WI  54301
FAX: 920-448-5206
M-F 7:45 am – 4:30 pm​
Refund Hotline: 1-866-947-7363
Homestead Credit Questions:

1-608-266-8641 (Madison)

Additionally, if you have a question about your Homestead credit claim:

  • Contact the department’s Customer Service Bureau at (608) 266-2772.
  • Email
  • Write to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue Mail Stop 5-77, PO Box 8949, Madison WI 53708-8949

UWGB VITA Program: Free Homestead and Tax Preparation

Appointments required.

During tax season, volunteers trained under the IRS/TAX AIDE Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program are available to help elderly, low and middle income residents prepare their taxes.  This service is free but requires an appointment.
UWGB VITA Program: Free Homestead and Income Tax Preparation
WEDNESDAYS, February 5 – April 8 (except March 18)   5:00-7:30 pm
Volunteers trained under the IRS/TAX AIDE Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program are here to help you. This is a free service for elderly, low and middle income residents.
Appointments are required.
Call UWGB at 920-465-2575 to see if you qualify and to set up an appointment.
Taxpayers who file Homestead Credit forms only (the taxpayer does not file either a  Federal or State income tax return) will be able to get assistance with the Schedule H at the State District Office Building, 200 N Jefferson St, Mon-Fri during tax season from 7:45-4:30 on a first-come first served basis.
The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $51,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities.

To have your tax return(s) prepared at a VITA or TCE site you need to bring the following information with you:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents or Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

REMEMBER – At the Brown County Library location, volunteers will not be certified to do Itemized Tax Returns this year. If the taxpayer had a Schedule A in last year’s tax return and has similar expenses this year, volunteers will not be able to do their return. They will need to go to one of the other sites.