Overview of Local History Collection
This overview of the Local History Collection is intended to highlight certain areas – it is by no means a definitive list. Search for specific titles in the Library’s online catalog.
- Federal Census for Wisconsin, all counties, from 1820-1930 (1820 & 1830 are listed as Michigan Territory)
- 1890 Census is Special Schedule enumerating Union Veterans and Widows for Wisconsin only
- State census for 1855, 1875, 1885, 1895, and 1905. Only 1905 contains all members of households by names.
- Territorial Census for 1836, 1838, 1842, 1846, and 1847.
- Census Index for State Census for Brown County for 1905.
- Soundex Census Index for Wisconsin, 1900 and 1920.
- Indian Census for Oneida, Menominee, Stockbridge, Munsee, Chippewa and Winnebago.
- Bound copies of other censuses and census indexes for Wisconsin and other areas of the country including a complete 1790 census, the 1710-1830 Michigan Census Index, and 1836, 1838, 1840, 1850, and 1855 Wisconsin Census Indices.
- Newspapers on microfilm for all Brown County communities, the earliest beginning in 1833. Also available the Door County Advocate 1862-1935.
- The Local History area also has a card index to the Green Bay Press-Gazette and the Green Bay News Chronicle from 1962 to 1983. Another index to the Press-Gazette covering July 1985 to the present is located in the microfilm area. These are considered news indices and not vital record indices.
- Search complete, full-text content of the Green Bay Press-Gazette from 1999 using ProQuest, an online database that includes community events, schools, politics, government policies, cultural activities, local companies, state industries, and people in the community. Access is with your library card number.
- Search the Green Bay Press-Gazette covering January 1997-December 2003 in the library’s online catalog.
- In addition to a wide variety of genealogy and local history books relating to Wisconsin, the library also has a good collection of books for other states. The following subject areas include some sample titles:
- Federal Papers — Territorial Papers, American State Papers (Public Lands)
- Military Records — Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers (Civil War), Index to War of 1812 Pension Files, Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary War Pension Files by Virgil D. White and others
- County Histories — Histories of most Wisconsin counties in books or on microfilm
- Green Bay City and Brown County Directories, some dating to the 1870’s
- DAR Lineage Books (have most, but not a complete run)
- Passenger Lists & Indexes — Passenger and Immigration List Index, with all supplements, P. William Filby, ed.; Germans to America, Ira A. Glazier & P. William Filby, eds; Famine Immigrants, Ira A. Glazier, ed.
- Genealogies in the Library of Congress and Local Histories in the Library of Congress
- Subject Catalog to the State Historical Society of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Blue Books, 1859 to the present
- High School Annuals of various schools in Brown County (incomplete runs – donated collection)
- French Canadian collection — over 400 volumes (mostly in French) including many marriage records from parishes in Quebec. Book collection includes Tanguay, Drouin, Jette, Loiselle
- Plat maps of Brown County beginning with 1889 (irregular publication dates)
- Plat maps from various other Wisconsin Counties in book form and on microfilm
- Current and historic maps of the United States and the world including the Poland Historical Atlas and the Atlas of the German Empire 1892 and Atlas of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1892
- Sanborn Map Company Fire insurance maps, many in bound editions, for Green Bay and De Pere. (There is also a fire map collection on microfilm from the 1880’s to the 1960’s that includes Green Bay, De Pere, Denmark and Pulaski)
The Local History area has many regional and state genealogical, history and historical preservation periodicals including:
- Gems of Genealogy
- Genealogical Computing
- Lost in Canada (complete)
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register (complete from 1847, vol 1 – date)
- Voyageur Magazine
- Wisconsin Magazine of History (complete from 1917, vol 1- date)
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society Newsletter
Other Records and Indices
- Complete listings for Brown County cemeteries
- Card index of surnames for Brown County cemeteries
- Listings for other county cemetery records including Door and Kewaunee Counties and other cemetery listings from around the state
- Pre-1907 Index to Registered Wisconsin Deaths, Marriages, and Births (microfiche)
- Index to Wisconsin Vital Health Records, including: Deaths from 1959-1967, 1969-1979, 1979-1997; Divorces from 1965-1978 (1966 missing), 1979-1983, 1984 (husband only); Marriages from 1973-1978, 1979-1984 (microfiche)
- Index to Marriage and Death Records of the Green Bay Health Department from 1920 – August 1, 1986
- Wisconsin Necrology. Obituaries compiled by the State Historical Society of prominent Wisconsinites from 1836-1968
- International Genealogical Index from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Online, CD-ROM, and microfice, 1988 edition)
- Jean Nicolet Certificates. As part of the 1984 celebration of the 350th anniversary of Jean Nicolet’s landing, certificates were awarded to persons who could prove their family had lived in Northeastern Wisconsin for at least 100 years. Applications and proofs are kept on file and indexed. This was a project of the Bay Area Genealogical Society.
- Extensive pamphlet files are kept of newspaper clippings and pamphlets about Brown County. Files include people, businesses, ethnic groups, history, local government, clubs, churches and events. Other files include other regional communities.