OverDrive: downloadable eBooks, Audiobooks, Streaming Video & More
Brown County Library OverDrive readers – this is for you!
Through the OverDrive Advantage service, the Brown County Library purchases extra copies of popular eBooks and downloadable audio books that are available only to Brown County Library cardholders.
What’s the Advantage? Having additional copies reduces the number of readers competing for the same title which means you’ll have less of a wait for the titles you put on hold.
When you sign in to your Overdrive account through the BCL website the Advantage seal will be displayed when you click on the book covers or search a category.
To access digital books in OverDrive you will need:
- a valid library card: please note, if you replace your library card, you will need to transfer your OverDrive holds to your new card number (OverDrive holds do not automatically transfer to your new account).
- Access to the Internet
- Free software for the computer and/or device on which you wish to use the material you download from this site
- Downloading Instructions (.pdf):
Nook eReader – Computer- Laptop
App 2.0 including Android-powered Smartphones & Tablets (using Android version 3.2 or older), Apple iPad, iPhone & the iPod Touch (iOS 5 or older) Kindle Fire (1st Generation), Nook Color & Tablet (using Android version 3.2 or older)
App 3.0 including Android-powered Smartphones & Tablets, Apple iPad, iPhone & the iPod Touch, Kindle Fire (2nd Generation or HD) and Nook HD & HD+ and Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Please note that digital downloads can be enjoyed at home, at work, or when you travel, but are generally not for use on the computers in your library.
Filtering features are available in Account Settings:
- Filter Subject/Maturity Levels Filter out content based on top level subject heading (Juvenile, Young Adult, General, Adult) Set-up help.
- Mask Erotic Literature Cover Art. The default for this feature is currently set to mask these cover images. This feature can simply be turned on or off.Log in to your account and go to “Settings” to make changes.
Enjoy eBooks and audiobooks on your Blackberry, Android,
iPhone or iPad. Download the app that’s right for you!
How OverDrive Works
You may check out a maximum of 10 titles at one time with a maximum 21 day loan period; there are no renewals. Titles are automatically returned when they are due so you’ll never accumulate late fees.
You may place holds on titles when all copies are checked out by other patrons. You will receive an email when the selected title becomes available for checkout. Once you receive the email, you will have 3 days to check out the selected title.
Once the file is downloaded to a computer, you will be able to transfer segments of the file, or the entire file, to a supported mobile device, such as an eReader, tablet, or MP3 player. The file can also be burned to a CD when permissions allow. When the title automatically expires and is returned to the library, you can delete the file from your device.
Monthly maintenance is performed every third Thursday of every month from 5:00 am-7:00 am. If you have problems during these times, please try to access the site later in the day.